Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:59:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Ali Niknam <ali@iephosting.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The advantages of Zeus instead of Apache?

On 2001-03-27, Ali Niknam scribbled:

# I was wondering if Zeus is worth the money? What improvements does it have
# over Apache? Is it compatible?

In most cases, Apache with PHP+Zend (or JSP, Python, PERL or whatever
other language you want to use) will do fine. I haven't worked with Zeus
to know if it's worth the money or not, but it depends on how much
traffic your site is getting and if it would be more cost-effective to
get a load-balancer to allow you to scale over multiple web servers.

If you need to allow a lot of connections at once (a la Slashdot), it's
usually better to scale horizantally (add web servers behind load
balancers)... if you need application performance, then scaling up
(adding processors, memory, moving the DB to a backend cluster or
large-scale server) might be a better idea.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found