Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:21:47 -0700
From:      Alex Bedworth <abed@uswest.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

Daniel brings up a good point about SMIT (I don't know about SAM,
not being a HP geek :)

One helpful feature of SMIT/smitty is that it allows you to display
the command that you are about to run.  It also saves a history of
its session in $HOME/smit.log, which can be used later to repeat
actions taken, just a little better than script(1) ;-)

For administration, this capability is VERY nice.  I don't administer
systems, but, occasionally, I have to install packages on a number of
systems.  Being able to see what 'goes on under the covers' is very
helpful - especially if you're doing it for the first time, or are a
'casual' user, sometimes administrator.

Having used LINUX since around '92, I am in love with FreeBSD's use
of /usr/ports/*.  Simply being able to type 'make install' in a port
directory, and having everything magically installed is wonderful.

If the point of this thread is for the basic 'sysinstall', leave the
thing as it is.  It works great.  If [collective] we want to create
an administrative tool, then I, as a user, would want for whatever
tool that is to provide me with the information I need to create an
action via script, or whatever.  Let me see what command is being
run, or at least give me the ability to view it.  I also want to be
able to copy/paste the command in its entirety to a script for use
later.

Just .02 from a user.  Keep up the good work!

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > This does, however, have all the risks of building yet another SMIT or
> > SAM. :-( Neither attempt at making Unix sysadm 'user-friendly' makes
> > me want to cheer.
>
> Actually, I very much like both SMIT (in it's 4.x incarnation) and SAM.
> Sure, I'll complain loudly if that was the _only_ way of doing it, but
> neither of these tools precludes you from cli and file-editing, nor
> would we have to.
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
> who is as social as a wampas
>
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org

The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on.  It is never any
use to oneself.
                -- Oscar Wilde