Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:23:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Lofton <lofton_osu@osu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: installing and using freeBSD

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Brian Lofton wrote:

>     I am running a Pentium II 266, with a Promise ATA 6.4 gig hard
> drive.  I have tried to install Linux, but Linux does not recognize my
> hard drive.  Will I have the same problem with freeBSD?

Knowing Promise controllers, probably.  You can try booting the boot
floppy and see if it sees it though.

>     Also, freeBSD is supposed to be free, but most references are made
> to installing from CD-ROM which happens to cost money.  What's the deal
> with that?

You can download FreeBSD free from the internet at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD, or you can buy the CD set.  The price
of the CD set covers manufacturing, packaging, and a small profit (which
goes back into the FreeBSD project BTW).

>     The instructions to install freeBSD has got to be one of the most
> confusing lump of text I have ever run into, can you please tell me, in
> simple terms, how I should go about installing freeBSD.  I am running
> Windows 95 OS.

The problem is, installing FreeBSD isn't as simple as installing Office.
If you're on WIn95, most likely your hard drive has one large partition
for Windows.  Since FreeBSD requires it's own partition, you have to
delete, split, or resize a partiton to make room.  You'll need a separate
utility (FIPS or Partition Magic) to do this.