Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:28:27 -0500
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.com>, John Hixson <jhixson@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Dave Fourman\(Gmail\)" <dfourman@gmail.com>, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>, Vanessa Kraus <vmkraus@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports and PBIs

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wro=
te:

>> Alfred Perlstein , Matt at ix systems Kris (Mr PBI), some
>> others and I, felt that these ideas seemed to make some sense
>> and so I put them here for comment.
>>

> FWIW, when I see these discussions I'm always left wondering what's the b=
ad
> part? =A0I do think there are problems, but there doesn't seem to be a cl=
ear
> defined set of what is wrong. =A0 IMO, there should be a defined set of g=
oals
> to judge possible implementations against.

Let me start by saying FreeBSD ports is by far the best system I have
used to date.
but as good as it is, there is room for improvement.

Being a FreeBSD user now for many years, one thing I think would be nice is=
:
being able to have easier access to development ports( Masked ports
kinda like Gentoo).

right now is a GREAT example, currently there are new Gnome ,KDE and Xorg.
these are all MAJOR ports,dependencies run deeper and deeper with every rel=
ease.
there can never be enough testing...but they all exist in random
subversion servers around the web...

I would very much like to help test these Major ports, but installing
them is a pain.
there should be some sort of overlay system in place, so I can just
build the development ports
after agreeing to a few well placed warnings of course. and Well if I
hose my system all to hell..
well then I could just click on a bunch of PBI's and I am back in business.=
..

better still, make the development ports a PBI, I am just thinking out
loud here,but that may work, toughts?

one could say I could use merge scripts like marcusmerge for example,
or use Virtualbox...
but for large ports like Xorg and gnome or KDE, virtualbox doesn't cut it y=
et...
thinks like Nvidia Video cards, multiple monitors, USB devices, and
whatnot do not work on virtual box..
PBI's for development ports, with all the dependencies, wrapped in one pack=
age.

solution? well let all the developers develop working ports in
progress in one place, give users like me a way to track these changes
and install and test them... I think FreeBSD becomes a better place for it.

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks