Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:32:56 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird install problems.

I've seen this twice now, so mail goes off to -hackers :-)

I've seen cases where relabeling disks cause the slice information to
go away.  In one case this was done via the install program
completely, and in the other I think it was done with disklabel.

I did the following to get a recently installed FreeBSD 2.1.5R system

1> Go into the install program, make the first partition active, then
   W the change, choose booteasy.
2> W the changes (I made none) to the disk in the disklabel screen.

then exit and do the following (after at least one reboot):

disklabel wd0 > /tmp/foo
disklabel -R -B wd0 /tmp/foo

I then rebooted.  At that point, it claimed that /dev/wd0s1b didn't
exist, but it could easily find /dev/wd0b.

Any idea what is up with this?

Is more information needed?

Warner