Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:40:46 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@neuron.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More info on my tape drive problem

--------

"Amir Y. Rosenblatt" uttered with conviction:
>Also, /dev/nrst0 and /dev/nrst0.0 had today's date on them instead of the
>date they were installed.  When /dev/tty had flaked it showed that day's
>date instead of its install date.  I tried using MAKEDEV to create new
>copies of the files but MAKEDEV wasn't familiar with the device name:

 Not sure about why that changed... but...

>[root@prozac]/dev# ./MAKEDEV nrst0
>nrst0 - no such device name
>[root@prozac]/dev# ./MAKEDEV nrst0.0
>nrst0.0 - no such device name

 Read the source luke!!!

 From the MAKEDEV script:

#       st*     "NEW type scsi tapes" (old driver uses the
#               block devices of the disks to get access)

so

root@garion > MAKEDEV st1

>The same thing happened earlier in the week when I tried to MAKEDEV tty.

Ok...# Terminal ports:
#       tty*    general purpose serial ports
#       cua*    dialout serial ports
#       ttyA*   Specialix SI/XIO dialin ports ('*' = number of devices)
#       cuaA*   Specialix SI/XIO dialout ports
#       ttyD*   Digiboard - 16 dialin ports
#       cuaD*   Digiboard - 16 dialout ports

So which tty are you trying to make? ...

you probably need

root@garion > MAKEDEV tty1

 -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?