Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:42:14 -0500
From:      Peter Goetz <peter.goetz@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop choices

I have an IBM Thinkpad R51with a Radeon Mobility 9000 M9.

It works quite well with FreeBSD 5.4. The only issue I have, is that I cannot
have 3d-acceleration and at the same time have suspend-to-ram support.
(Theres a huge difference noticable when I run glxgears)

The device section in my xorg.conf looks like this:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
#       Driver      "ati"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

To enable dri for hardware acceleration I have to set acpi_video_load="NO"
in /boot/loader.conf
But then it doesn't wake up properly from suspend mode. Setting it to "YES"
dri cannot be loaded, but suspend mode works . Sorry, it was some time ago
when I configured all the things so I cannot not remember what the problem
finally was. (suspend to disk doesn't work at all)
The touch pad can easily been disabled in the bios (what I also did, because I
don't like it).
I hope that helps!

Peter