Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:21:04 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Ariff Abdullah <ariff@freebsd.org>, S?ren Schmidt <sos@deepcore.dk>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: recent commits break via 8235 ata

On 2007-04-10 19:22, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>On Tuesday 10 April 2007 16:13, Nate Lawson wrote:
>>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>> This is the change which stops snd_hda from working here:
>>>
>>> %   Revision  Changes    Path
>>> %   1.233     +39 -55    src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c
>>>
>>> If I update my kernel sources to Wed Mar 21 14:39:39 2007 +0000
>>> (including the sys/modules/padlock/Makefile commit of Sam Leffler, to
>>> fix the kernel build from Wed Mar 21 17:37:13 2007 +0000), I can see
>>> that the snd_hda driver probes my sound card correctly.
>>>
>>> Updating after the commit shown above, breaks snd_hda.
>>
>> I just finished a binsearch and can verify this exact commit causes the
>> problem for my ATA also.  I'll spend some more time debugging it later.
>>
>> John, can I back out rev 1.233 of acpi.c until you return since it
>> prevents some machines from booting?
>
> Well, it most likely means there are other bugs that just happen to
> not break with the older stuff.  Are you sure that just this one
> change fixes things rather than the changes to the nexus drivers?

For snd_hda on my Toshiba laptop, I can verify that reverting this
changeset only makes snd_hda probe correctly again.  I resynced to last
night's HEAD version of CVS, reverted this change only, and the snd_hda
drives still probes correctly.  Rebuilding with rev 1.233 of acpi.c
results in the same failure to attach with:

  pcm0: hdac_get_capabilities: Invalid rirb size (0)
  device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6