Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:21:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au, geoff@schwing.ginsu.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I/O woes.

> > > 1) you should ALWAYS use hardware flow control unless you have a REALLY good
> > > reason not to.  REALLY good, as in, the device you are talking to doesn't
> > > support it.
> >
> > That's the ONLY reason not to.
>
> What if you wanted to type ^C and have the output actually abort
> (as requested via a real time event) instead of waiting until the
> flow controlled buffers in the intermediate path drain before
> actually stopping?

Unless you have a slow modem, this isn't going to be a Real Big Issue for
most people.  Even with a 2K on-board buffer, a 14.4K modem will appear to
respond to a ^C in about a second.

As someone who used to do a lot of "playing" in this area, when 300 and 1200
baud modems were new and cool, I will state that it's a real pain in the
rump for a number of reasons:

1) you cannot get ANY sort of compression out of the modem, and are
therefore limited to your default speed.
2) you cannot use error correction, because error correction will
potentially introduce delays and cause the modem to buffer data.
3) well, I think 1 and 2 are bad enough.

Now, of course, you can make special cases until you're blue in the face.  I
can too.  But:  for the average user, running interactive logins, UUCP,
SLIP/PPP, or file transfers over a 9600-baud-or-faster link, you're really
going to want to use hardware handshaking and allow the modem to do
compression and error correction.   For the average user running at 1200
baud on a laptop (i.e. me at home), there is a minor amount of suffering
through a few seconds of buffered data if you really want it to stop.  You
gotta do it this way for most apps.  Else we might as well go back to the
days of dumb modems that did nothing but modulate and demodulate.

... Joe