Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:14:56 +1100
From:      "Gavin Cameron" <gavin@itworks.com.au>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [Slightly off topic]: PPPoA

Hi all,

The ADSL ISP I'm looking to move to uses PPP over ATM.

My current ISP uses PPPoE which works great with FreeBSD userland ppp.
I pretty sure that my modem is operating in bridged mode with FreeBSD doing
all the PPPoE work.

I beleive my modem, an Alcatel Speed Touch Home, can handle both PPPoA
and PPPoE.

Now, part of the manual says...

PPPoA
The other method to get in touch with the SP over the DSL line is PPPoA.
> PPPoA-to-PPTP Relaying
Similar to Bridged PPPoE this requires installation of a PPTP
dial-in application (*) on your PC(s).
(*) Most popular OSs have a PPTP dial-in application installed, e.g.
Microsoft
Dial-Up Networking, or support PPTP Tunneling software to be installed.

I notice that there's a port called pptpclient-1.0 with a description of
"PPTP client for establishing a VPN link with an NT server".

There seems to be a lot more to PPPoA than PPPoE and I'm a little confused.

Can anyone give me any pointers to getting PPPoA working through my external
ADSL modem, which is connected to my box via ethernet, under FreeBSD 4.5?

Thanks very much in advance,
Gavin