Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:28:36 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "saifuddin Abd. Salam" <saif_addin@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD admin Tool

On Sunday 10 February 2002 09:41 am, saifuddin Abd. Salam wrote:
> I have question as:
> If linux have printtool, Solaris have admintool, how
> about freeBSD?

FreeBSD has vi.  What else do you need? :-)

No, seriously, there are a number of tools to help with various tasks on the
ports, but no pretty GUI tool.  I happen to like that, but if you don't,
you're welcome to write one.

What FreeBSD *does* have, which I find more elegant than the Linux approach
(I've never used Solaris in an adiministrative capacity) is the ability to
use the *same* program for initial installation and for later system
maintenance.

Just type

/stand/sysinstall

and go to the configuration section.  You can do common administraive tasks
there, and in exactly the same way that you do during initial installation.
That said, as I've used FreeBSD more & more I use that approach less & less.

It's not a GUI, but it is a curses-based interface that guides you throught
the common administrative tasks.

It is *not* as comprehensive as some of the Linux administrative tools; for
other tasks, check out the FreeBSD Handbook (at the freebsd site) and follow
the directions there.  To me this is an advantage (it's one reason I switched
from Linux--it was getting too user friendly [== obscures what's really going
on] for me . . .

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org