Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 16:59:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ben Black <black@MR.Net>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        ron@infi.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysAdmin Tools - ideas wanted

> Hrm. I have a bunch of mail sat in my mailbox on this subject. It's a
> very interesting subject to deal with properly. I think I can say now
> that you're heading down the wrong road. A tcl/tk front end, while
> nice, doesn't provide the facilities needed IMHO, unless you TOTALLY
> separate the tcl end out so that it can be run standalone from the
> command line, and in a batch operation mode (i.e. non-interactive).

i agree completely.  years of working with NetInfo under NEXTSTEP taught me
that ALL the sysadmin tools need to work from the command line.

something which is much more ambitious an idea is a full network information
database system like NIS+ or NetInfo (except good).  that is something which
i would be willing to dedicate time to if anyone else is interested.

Ben
black@mr.net