Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:37:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

> > openssl becomes a "distribution" like the DES bits are.  Depending on
> > external packages is actually something I'm trying to wean sysinstall
> > away from because the dependency is a PITA and the creation of the
> > packages collection is not automated in the same way that distribution
> > building is.
>
> Okay, so what do I need to do to make this happen?

1. Make openssl build as part of the standard "world" and depend
   on the setting of USA_RESIDENT, which will be initially set by
   sysinstall.

2. Let me look at where things are installed in each case (if there's
   any difference at all) and figure out how to hack release/Makefile
   to package up the extra bits.

3. I add another "crypto" flag for this chunk of stuff in the
   now-not-very-well-named des/ distribution directory and add
   sysinstall menu entries for it appropriately.

Of course, this all begs the question as to whether or not the current
DES/openssl division is even meaningful now.  The DES code we have in
the tree is rapidly falling under the radar of what the US government
considers interesting and this whole openssl thing is over a patent,
which is in a rather different category.  We're sort of trying to
skate in-between the lines here and I think we're only confusing
ourselves as a result.

- Jordan