Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:19:18 +1100
From:      Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 excessive memory allocations

On 27/03/2013, at 7:08 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> 2013/3/26 Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
>=20
>>> I have a heavily threaded C application, developed on an Intel Core =
i5
>> laptop (2 cores) running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE.
>>>=20
>>> When this application compile and run on another Intel Core i7 =
laptop (4
>> cores) running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, this application immediately =
starts
>> grabbing memory by over 100MB per second and soon exit with not =
enough RAM.
>>=20
>=20
> Sorry, can't remember exactly, but you could search current- or =
stable-
> for something like you got.
> This related IIRC with changes in thread subsystem, so basically each
> thread will consume now more mem.
> Search for details, your description is ringing some bell :)

Yes, I remember that too. I think that was linking with libc_r so there =
was only one kernel thread in the earlier version, but linked with =
-pthread only in 9-whatever leading to an explosion in the number of =
kernel threads.

Unga: Have you changed linker options? If so, you may have increased the =
number of kernel threads, increasing memory requirements. You could =
experiment with -lkse instead of -lc_r, and calling =
pthread_set_concurrency(). To manage the number of kernel threads. I =
haven't tried it, so best of luck.

Regards,

Jan.