Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 18:42:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > However, one thing is clear: You need about 1.5G of disk space to have
> > an effective development machine.  I have 2.25G on my machine, and
> > things get a little cramped when I try to do both OpenBSD things and
> > FreeBSD things at the same time.
>
> Amen.  I have 3G on this box, and I do FreeBSD, FreeBSD + Terry,
> FreeBSD + SMP, and OpenBSD.  It's still quite cramped.

Hmmm, I only have ~600MB for my FreeBSD partition. But the good news is
that I managed to move as much as I could (/home, etc..) into the zip,
leaing me with ~118MB free after the new supof the src tree.

A quick note
on that point: nowhere on the freebsd web pages does it mention that the
src-contrib delta is onw part of the CVS tree... Of course, I just fired
off the cvsup-file from ftp.freebsd.org, after adding the tag=RELENG_2_2
and there was no src-contrib line. I quickly figured it out after the make
world failed trying to cleandir /usr/src/contrib (which didn't exisit on
my August SNAP). Obvious problem, but if I hadn't been paying attention to
the -current news I maybe wouldn't have guessed..

On the topic of hard-disks, I obviously need a new one, so what do you all
recomend for a FAST-SCSI-2 drive. I just have an NCR c810 controller, so I
don't need the Ultra-Wide stuff. My local store is telling me that a 2GB
Quantum Atlas is about $900 CDN!!! And his price on a Seagate Hawk 2.1GB
is $700. Seems high to me, and I remember Terry and others debating the
equal cost of IDE and SCSI a while ago.. The exchange rate is about 0.76
right now, so my local guy wants about $500 US for the Hawk. Like I said,
seems high..

Oh, I can't forget to say thanks to John Polstra, the CVSup utility is
amazing!! The entire process only took about 1.5 hours to get the new tree
(including the contrib stuff) over a 33.6 modem! Wow.

TIA,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| RingZero Comp.  	www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch