Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 03:15:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Edward Gess" <edward_gess@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new packages and ports

Edward Gess <edward_gess@hotmail.com> types:
>     But, how you know, all these programs are installed as the base system,
>     so how I could update them, should I simply replace them by newer
> ones???

If you need to use those, you should install the ports, not replace
the versions in the base system. Unlike other Unix-like systems,
FreeBSD is built, tested and provided as a complete system, not a
collection of packages running on top of a kernel from a bunch of
different development groups. The downside of this, as you've noticed,
is that the versions of contributed software in the base system tend
to lag behind the version from the developers. The upside, which you
apparently also noticed, is that the base system is more stable and
easier to manage than things built using the alternative
system. Updating perl seems to work ok, but people have reported bad
things happening when compiling the system with gcc 3.0.

>     And one more, what do you think about my english? I guess you've noticed
>     that I am not from England or America? I am from Lithuania, but I am not
>     Lithuanian, I am German, I only live here...

Since you ask, I think it's good. Not perfect, but better than some
who speak english as a first language. More importantly, it was no
problem understanding the question.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.