Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:22:03 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   What Gives? - WARNING: You are about to install an ELF kernel for the first time!

Whoa!
WARNING: You are about to install an ELF kernel for the first time!

Would someone care to explain why I got this message?

I just installed FBSD 3.4 from the cdroms, added the pcm0 driver
and rebuilt with the following commands.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend
make
make install

The last command - make install - gives the warning stated above.
Plus
"Please be sure you have upgraded your bootblocks and/or /boot/loader
so that you can boot it...."

The puzzling thing is that I just installed 3.4, using the same cdrom,
on a system, and rebuilt the kernel 4 times, with no problems.

Did I forget something in this install?

I visited www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html

and could not decipher what I was to do to get the bootblock updated.

Here is the dmesg

Copyright (c) 1992-1999 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Thu Dec 30 02:57:15 GMT 1999
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel.GENERIC' at 0xc035c000.

TIA