Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:17:31 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: Test /etc/rc clean-up

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > I gather the reason for using the X trick *and* the quotes is because there
> > might be some whitespace in there, too.
>
> Actually, that's mostly just historical legacy.  When the quotes, it's
> safe even if the expansion is empty or contains whitespace.

	The X also protected test from the case where the expansion included a
string like "-x", although with most modern implementations of test (or
shells with test as a builtin) this is no longer a problem.

>  I got
> kinda annoyed with this last night and did the following:

	I agree with some of your changes here, but can you explain your objection
to using case? My argument is that case is a builtin so it makes things
just a little bit cleaner, and more importantly it makes case insensitivity
for the options that much easier to implement which is a huge win in user
friendliness. For example, what happens to if [ "${pccard_ifconfig}" !=
"NO" ] if the user makes the flag "no"? I'd say that the fact that this is
going to go off anyway violates POLA, all "stupid user" arguments aside.

Doug