Date:      Tue, 3 May 2005 17:16:31 -0700
From:      Benjamin Keating <motionsiren@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Properly umounting a USB HDD

Hey all,

I've noticed that a 'umount /mnt/portable' properly umounts the drive
like it should, but when I hold the drive in my hand and give it a
very gentle horizontal spin with my wrist, the reading head /
platter.. something, sounds loose, as if the arm wasn't properly
docked.

Is there any command in BSD that will allow me to properly shutdown a
portable disk? System disks don't have this sound at all but I'm not
sure what commands do it. Maybe it's a APIC/APM thing? That stuff is
greek to me.

Thanks!