Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-19981009-BETA install report

This is on an old Compaq 486DX2/50 w/ 8MB RAM and a 160M IDE drive. It
has an Etherlink III (ep0) card in it.

I brought it up using the boot floppy. It probed the ep0 card
correctly, but when configuring the network in preparation for doing
an ftp install, the install would hang on setting up the default
route. So, i aborted the install, rebooted, and went into fixit mode,
used ifconfig and ping to make sure that the card was set up (using
the same info I had given to sysinstall), and then I returned to the
install.
At this point it apparently assummed that I wanted to do an install thru
floppies. It asked me to insert a floppy (I assummed it was asking for
the boot.flp back, and so I inserted the boot floppy). It couldn't
find the "bin" dist, so it continued, and came up with the "congrats!
you have successfully installed FreeBSD" screen. I then went into the
post-config mode, and changed the media to ftp, and installed the bin
dist + the sys src.
I rebooted, but for some reason the copying of kernel.GENERIC to
kernel hadn't happenned, and therefore I had to explicitly boot from
kernel.GENERIC.

Otherwise everything went well. It's currently compiling a kernel
(been over 15 minutes so far).

This is easily verifiable thru the following steps:

1. boot with boot.flp
2. use fixit mode and fixit.flp to startup network card
3. when returned to the install menu,  perform a novice install.
4. It assumes the media is floppy.

BTW: the original NIC I had in this machine was a SMC EZCARD10
(SMC1660BTA). It was recognized (after I changed it to irq 5 and
0x300), but it could never sucessfully use it since I couldn't find
the right combination of link[0-2] options to make it choose
10baseT/UTP (and I couldn't do it thru the "media" option). anyone
have one of these working with FreeBSD? (This card has 3 ports, BNC,
AUI and the UTP one).

Thanks
Viren
--
Viren R. Shah
"I merely note, if you want to catch something, running after it isn't