Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 00:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve <geniusj@suarez.bestweb.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve <geniusj@phreebsd.org>, questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quick gated questions

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve wrote:

> Aye, but I want to use SEPERATE routers for each device.. It's a must
> since each connectino has filters upstream to prevent use of other IP
> addresses that aren't on their network (spoof protection), therefore they
> must each be using their own network, so they cant all use the same
> network..
> Thanks in advance (again)
> Jason DiCioccio

Ok. Here's what I think I understand of your problem. You are direct
connected to subnet 208.45.16.x/y and there is a gateway on that
subnet, 208.45.16.248, beyond which is a larger network I'll call
A. You are also direct connected to a subnet 205.252.42.x/y and
the gateway on that network, 205.252.42.97  connects to a larger network
I'll call B. A filters B, and B filters A.

For accesses to your box that originate on network A, you need the
return traffic to go back to A via 208.45.16.248. Likewise, you
need packets that are return traffic to network B to exit your
topology via 205.252.42.97. Am I right?

To do this, your box must know the subnets that are both in network
A, and network B. You need static routes for each of them, or your
box must learn them via a routing protocol.

Also, you must take care that your applications are not bound to
a particular IP address or the return traffic to one of the
networks will have a filtered IP address.

Alternatively, you may be able to use ipfw and rule based forwarding
as a means to the end. Say your box's ip addresses are 208.45.16.a
and 205.252.42.b. You apply a rule that forwards packets with a
source address of 208.45.16.a to 208.45.16.249. You apply another
rule that forwards packets with a source address of  205.252.42.b
to 205.252.42.97. You may want to have some extra rules to ensure
that traffic destined to the attached subnets doesn't get bounced
off the routers.

-

Barrett