Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:10:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
To:        timothyr@timothyr.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE to 4.0-STABLE upgrade

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Timothy L. Robertson wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I just finished upgrading as the subject line says, and I've noticed two
>anomalies.
>
>1) On boot I get the message:
>module_register: module netgraph already exists!
>linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
>I use my box as a router to distribute a DSL PPPoE feed to some windows
>machines with nat and user ppp.  Things seem to still work fine, but the
>message makes me uneasy.

If you're missing one of the necessary netgraph config items in your
config file, when you boot, the module gets loaded in. The loader
tried to load netgraph.ko too, which is already present in the
compiled kernel.  The bare minimum I found for PPPoE to work without

options		NETGRAPH
options 	NETGRAPH_ETHER
options 	NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options 	NETGRAPH_SOCKET

Try that and I'm sure that message will go away.

>2)  My kernel grew from ~2.5MB to over 10MB after the upgrade.  kldstat -v
>looks about the same, and my config file hasn't changed at all.

Can't answer that one.