Date:      12 Jul 1995 05:35:04 U
From:      "Richard Shott" <Richard_Shott@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
To:        "bugs report" <bugs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Hard drive woos

        Reply to:   Hard drive woos
I have a serious problem that I am trying to work around. I have the FreeBSD
2.0 CD from walnut creekand am attempting to install it. I had a problem with
the geometry of the ahrd drive and the fdisk utility. When booting BSD
recognized the hard disk as a Conner 1278MB on an IDE channel, it even read
the proper BIOS numbers 2477 cyl., 16 heads, and 63 sectors/track. After many
troubles I get the same problem Fdisk always attempts to start the harddrive
as a 64head device. I have been trying to fix this, and you have no idea how
hard. Also the bootstrap you sent did not work. I have figured out how to
load the coherent bootstrap which runs like a charm. At one point in time the
hard drive was locked, and I this was partially due to an error on my part
when I miswrote a partition table that I had not defined. It saved the rest
to the 'd' slice. Currently the boot disk runs through the check system and
then creates this error:

   fd0c:hard error feading fsbn 16 of 16-31 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 1 <no_am>
             ST2 0 cyl0 hd0 sec17
   panic cannot mount root

like I had said this my be a partition table problem that I am trying to
remedy. Any comments would be greatly appreicated. Also does this version of
BSD support LBA? Or should I leave it off.

Thanx for the support I am looking forward to the reply. BTW this is not a
fast method of communication for me as the account I have is often only read
on the weekends.

Rick