Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2013 02:31:40 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UEFI Secure Boot

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 16:21:28 +0000 (UTC), jb wrote:
> I hope FreeBSD (and other OSs) luminaries, devs and users will find a way not
> to harm themselves.

A massive problem I (personally) have is that with Restricted Boot
(this is what "Secure Boot" basically is) you are no longer able
to _ignore_ MICROS~1 and their products. A restrictive boot loader
mechanism that requires signed and confirmed keys, handled by a
major offender of free decisions and a healthy market - no thanks.
What prevents MICROS~1 from revoking keys of a possible competitor?
Or from messing with the specs just that things start breaking?

Don't get me wrong: I don't even argument that a mechanism where
a competitor requires you to pay money to run _your_ software
instead of _their_ software sounds horribly wrong. This approach
will introduce a philosophical or even legal context to the
technical problem.

I see interesting chances in UEFI per se. It can be called a kind
of "micro-OS" which can be rich on features that could also be
useful. But history has shown that if such an infrastructure is
provided, it will lead to bloated, insecure and incompatible
implementations quickly, and the worst, it will happen at a very
low level. This is simly dangerous.

Regarding UEFI + Restricted Boot: To obtain MICROS~1's sticker of
approval for hardware, vendors need to implement those features.
Even worse, on _specific_ platforms, they are not allowed to make
it possible to _remove_ those features, so "on by default" is
required - if I remember correctly (Intel vs. ARM architectures).

As you see, I try to ignore this whole topic as I am not interested
in using it. In the past, this has been possible. When building a
new system, buying a blank disk and _no_ "Windows" was particularly
easy. For systems that already came with some "Windows" preinstalled,
simply deleting the partition was a solution; install FreeBSD boot
mechanism, initialize disk, and be done. No more dealing with what
MICROS~1 seems to insist is "normal". When _their_ product decisions
make _me_ invest time to find a way to remove and ignore them, I
feel offended.

I would like to see a way UEFI hardware, with or without Restricted
Boot, can be used with FreeBSD _without_ involving the "good will"
of MICROS~1. But as they have already gotten their fingers everywhere,
this doesn't seem to happen all too soon... :-(

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany