Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:39:27 +0000
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        tulchins@voland.phoebe.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't rm /compat

From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:58:30 +0100

Hi, Reference:
> From: Steven Tulchinsky <tulchins@voland.phoebe.com>
>
> Here is another problem
> After last crash I managed to recover but probably
> did something wrong using fsck and it created in place
> of /compat directory, very strange file
> b---rw-r--  1 944581969  911628861   56, 1313538113 Dec 29  1976
> compat which I can't remove and replace with original directory.

Sounds to me like the immutable bit has been set by mistake.  Run
'ls -lo' and see if you see a 'schg' flag appear after the uid/gid
specifications for the file, enter the command 'chflags noschg
compat' and then try to remove the file.

I suggest you recheck your filesystem becuase the space occupied by
the /compat directory may not have been properly recovered.

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com