Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:35:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail sorting

Giorgos Keramidas writes:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:44:21AM +0200, Martin Moeller wrote:
> > Is there a possibility to locally/automatically sort the mail into
> > different mailboxes for one user? I have to get my mail from a POP3
> > server.  At the moment I do this with spruce but it would be nice if
> > this also could be done automatically.
> I use a combination of:
>   sendmail:
> 	for delivering mail locally and remotely.
>   fetchmail:
> 	for popping my mail home and feeding them to my sendmail.
>   procmail:
>         for sendmail's local delivery agent, and filtering mail to my
>         mailboxes.

Procmail is the most common solution for this, as it works with most
mailers. It's the best choice if you expect lots of help from other
users. However, qmail (a sendmail replacement) provides the ability to
sort mail into mailboxes without procmail's help. I believe you can do
anything procmail can do with it, but for complex things, procmail is
simpler.

	<mike