Date:      15 Jun 2004 23:57:23 -0700
From:      Brian Keefer <chort@amaunetsgothique.com>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: choosing another random number generator

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 12:39, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Consider getting something like:
>
> http://www.soekris.com/vpn1401.htm
>
> ...which will provide you with a hardware-based RNG.  You'll need to enable
> some options in the kernel to use it (search for HIFN in LINT)...

Recent VIA C3 CPUs also have hardware RNG on-chip, and the very recent
C3s actually have AES in hardware.  The "to be released soon" C3s will
have RSA, SHA1, and SHA256 on-chip.  Now that's some pretty amazingly
affordable hardware crypto (stand-alone CPUs go for around USD $40,
while embedded in a board is anywhere from $160 - $240).

I know that OpenBSD and Linux support the RNG and AES.  I haven't yet
checked to see if FreeBSD does.  Would anyone happen to know off the top
of their head?

Any way, wouldn't RNG and crypto discussion be more relevant to the
security list?

--
Brian Keefer