Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:12:56 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install fails on 10.2 GB drive using 4.0

John Baldwin wrote:

> That means the MBR has some wacky geometry in it.  If you could boot
> into the install and use the live filesystem CD fixit option and then
> run fdisk on the drive in question (e.g., 'fdisk ad0'), the output
> could be rather helpful in figuring out where sysinstall is getting
> confused.
>
> --
>
> John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> PGP Key: http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~jobaldwi/pgpkey.asc
> "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.FreeBSD.org/
John,

The bios gets the drive geometery correct, but on a virgin drive with no
master boot record, FreeBSD 4.0 will fail as described. I don't have the
exact message from the debug screen, but it was basically:Can't write
label. Partition can't extend past cylinder 1024. It then give an 8
digit number for the number of cylinders. The numbers where sane in both
the fdisk and disklable portions of sysinstall. It wasn't until the
write happened that it failed.

Manually installing the label will solve the problem. The problem
doesn't affect 3.2, 3.3 or 5.0, or Windows9x, all of which load without
any problem. I have also loaded 4.0 on 33gb drives without any problems.

If you think this problem is serious enough to warrent it, we can
probably be talked in to reloading our system so that we can get exact
diagnostics. (Anything within reason for the cause 8)

Bob
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."