Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:43:17 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@wantadilla.lemis.com>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit:  src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

Greg Lehey wrote:
> IIRC we agreed to disagree in general on points of spelling and
> punctuation which differ from one country to another, even though
> we've agreed to stick to two spaces in the documentation project.  I
> think it's inappropriate to single people out because they choose to
> use a different but valid punctuation convention from the one you do.
>
> In case you missed it, in England and Australia the convention is one
> space after a full stop.

I agree with your view of retaining the home country quirks of individual
writers (it particularly irritates me when documents written in English
are converted to American), and I don't like individuals pointed out
negatively in commit logs.  But your facts are in error.

There is no "one space" convention in Australia.  I learned typing in school
(an actually useful skill, no less), and two spaces were mandatory.  I can
accept the possibility of regional variation among states, or the more
probable dilution of skill due to increased foreign word processor use,
but the two space rule has not to my knowledge been revoked.

Um.  I think I'll send this rant to -chat.  BTW, I'm not currently subscribed
to -chat if you want to take me to task for my evil ways.  I note with some
amusement that you included two spaces in the only place in your message
where an inter-sentence gap appeared.  What are your true feelings on this
issue? ;-)

Stephen.