Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:50:17 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.lockd

Hello,
The rpc.lockd(8) is marked as broken in /etc/defaults/rc.conf in 4.1-R
My question is - how bad is it broken?
I'm asking this question because in our current setup consider the following
situation:
clients->[smb]->linux2.2.16(with local raid and nfs)->[nfs]->FreeBSD4.1-R
Before the FreeBSD there was quantum-snap server which had limited nfs2
protocol, and didn't allow chown/chgrp and links, thus it had to be replaced.
Now, many windows clients cannot open their files, they click on it but get all
kinds of weird errors (I cannot post them since I'm not there at the moment,
and microsoft error messages are hard to remember.
It *looks* like a locking problem to me, but I didn't investigate it yet.
Did anyone experience this phenomena?
Meanwhile I added "-2" to flags to mountd, and waiting for people there to test
it.
Is there some known issues with FreeBSD nfs vs. Linux nfs?

P.S. it's isn't suitable to install samba on the freebsd machine in our
situation, though I can bet that it would have worked much better.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]