Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:03:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@hotmail.com>, Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, qa@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: we should note "maxusers 0" in UPDATING

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> > See, people keep saying it's in the handbook, and I keep reading:
> >
> >   doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig/chapter.sgml
>
> Truely strange, it is in the handbook, but not in the above, maybe it
> hasn't been regenerated lately?

Well, I checked this file straight out of CVS a couple of minutes ago, so
if there's a synchronization problem, it may be pretty serious :-).

My comments on this text remain largely the same, that it's out of sync
with -STABLE GENERIC:

o Doesn't account for maxusers 0 auto-tuning; probably should specify the
  scaling factor, which is currently:

        /* Base parameters */
        if ((maxusers = MAXUSERS) == 0) {
                maxusers = physpages / (1024 * 1024 / PAGE_SIZE);
                if (maxusers < 32)
                    maxusers = 32;
                if (maxusers > 512)
                    maxusers = 512;
        }

  in -STABLE.  I.e., one 'maxuser' per megabyte of memory, with a minimum
  of 32 and maximum of 512, if the configured kernel value is 0, and the
  tunable is either not set, or is set to 0.

o GENERIC now includes UFS_DIRHAS by default, and that should probably be
  listed in the descriptions here, if not also elsewhere:

options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big directories

o pseudo-device ether is now apparently required for some other stuff that
  isn't strictly related to ethernet, including (I think) sppp.  There was
  recent discussion of this on some other lists, and we may want to
  encourage including this even in non-ethernet systems.

o pseudo-device gif is now self-cloning, so the constant number of
  instances there is no longer needed.  Here's the line now in GENERIC on
  -STABLE:

pseudo-device   gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling

There are probably other specific device differences from GENERIC, as well
as ordering differences.  Given that we don't anticipate any further
changes before the release, it would be worth synchronizing them at this
point.