Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 07:44:55 +0200
From:      Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Telnet

Hello Jason

>===== Original Message From Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org> =====
>> I would connect to my shell machine at otaku.freeshell.org. If I use telnet
>> from Win9x/WinNT/Win2k I've no problem to access. If I use telnet from
>> FreeBSD4.3 I can't correct steering my shell (some keys won't functions). I
>> changed also the TERM variable to vt100 without success (in this case the
>> command line from FreeBSD ist verry strange). What I doing wrong?
>> Thank you in advance.

>How are you using telnet from the FreeBSD machine?  Are you on the
>console
... at the console

>or are you in an xterm?
... no, perhaps later

The PC Console isn't a very good VT100
>emulator,
>you need to use a mode like "pc-cons" or "pc-ansi" or "ansi" or "cons25"
>or "pccons" or whatever the remote system actually has for PC consoles.
In default FreeBSD uses cons25. If I use TERM=vt100 then I can not use all
keys and the screen has some strange caracters.

>XTerms in general are halfway decent VT100 emulators, but using "xterm"
>is even better.
I will test it.

>Windows telnet is a terrible emulator, but if you consider it to work
>with
>"no problems" as a vt100 terminal, then you should have no problem
>getting
>equivelent functionality out of FreeBSD with the right term variable.
Which is your prefered TERM variable for telnet access?

--
PC-Service M. Schweizer
Gewerbehaus Schwarz