Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:41:45 +0200
From:      "James Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "Adam Fladwood" <adam@wiredrave.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sendmail -or- Qmail?

Another alternative which I adopted since TPTB wanted sendmail on our mail
servers was to install sendmail with all relaying options wide open and then
run the output through smtpd from Obtuse http://www.obtuse.com who are
famous for the Juniper firewall.

We have a complex WAN involving about 50 offices whose Internet IP addresses
are dynamically configured by our ISP.  I spent a month - not dedicated -
trying to make sense of the sendmail rules without success.  One
consultant's suggestion was to use the ISP for outgoing mail and leave the
relaying problem up to him which was unsatisfactory for several reasons.  I
decided to add smtpd to the system and had a functioning set of rules in
half a day, tested and working.

Smtpd's sole function is to handle anti-relaying and anti-spamming and it
does it very well.

mvh/regards

James