Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:39:26 +0100
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cucipop

Quoting Gustavo Vieira G C Rios (grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br):
> Hi, i wanted to increase my system security, so i decided to install
> cucipop for pop3d connection. But when i tried to compile it, i got no
> success. Did anybody here hada had the same problem?

No.  *We* would have been using the ports system.

> Reading the README file, it tells i need Berkeley DB 2 Database Lib!
> Where can i get it?

The port's Makefile doesn't list any dependencies.  So my guess
would be it comes with the basic FreeBSD system.  In fact it is
probably the dbm database package that is used for the password
database.

> I don't wanna go throw ports (i hate any automatic proccess to install
> software, so i love things like: ./configure, vi config.h , make , make
> check, .......,make install).

Yeah, I won't throw them (away that is), too.  I try to go through
the ports system if possible.  Now, if you don't trust them to do
the work automatically, at least take a look at the contents of it
to find out what had to be changed to the original source package
to build it under FreeBSD.
Browsing through patches/patch-aa I find a lot of adaptions to the
Makefile.  Apparently lots of things the original configure script
didn't understand about FreeBSD.

You seem to suffer from a strong instance of NIH-symdrome...
My advice would be to cure it by doing a cvsup/make world cycle.

Greetings,
				Ripley
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.