Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:16:17 +0200
From:      Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: utmp.h exists or not in RELENG_8?

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 12:22:22PM -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> My system is RELENG_8 and I have checkout by via csup today. It shows
> that utmp.h still exists in RELENG_8. But when I see this PR:

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/149945

> I have decided to check in the
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/include/?only_with_tag=RELENG_8
> ... It shows that utmp.h has been removed. But in the
> http://sources.freebsd.org/RELENG_8/src/include/ shows a different
> story as it exists. I am confusing... Is it supposed to be deleted in
> CVS when it did the SVN->CVS? Or what? I don't have svn installed in
> my system at the moment, so can't check it now.

utmp.h has been removed in HEAD (9.x) but is still present in 8.x and
earlier branches. It looks like cvsweb is buggy in this area.

The build error in ports/149945 may be caused by a stray utmpx related
file found by the configure process. Partly because the various unix
variant developers have made a mess of utmp/utmpx, the code to use it is
rather fragile.

--
Jilles Tjoelker