Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:53:51 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login_getclass unknown class

How do,

[ cc'd to -questions, because it answers the original posters question
  (in a roundabout way) and to -newbies because I think this reasonably
  states *my* approach to answering questions, and I want to know whether
  people think I'm being too harsh. When replying, please make sure that
  your reply goes to the correct mailing list. ]

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 11:37:19AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 1998 at 07:25:46PM -0600, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> > You might want to check out the errata for release 2.2.2
>
> That won't necessarily help.
>
> Why doesn't somebody just tell this guy where the file he is missing
> can be found, and leave it at that.

I think this is part of the "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." philosophy, although
(IMHO) Frank could have phrased his answer a little better.

I just went to the search engine, and put "Login_getclass" in the mailing
list search box. I looked at the results. Since this is an e-mail archive,
I know that any replies *should* have "Re: " at the beginning of the
subject line. Since I'm looking for answers to questions, I want to
ignore anything that doesn't have "Re: " at the start of the subject,
since it's probably someone else asking exactly the same question.

Result #4 is the first one that looks promising,

    4.Tim Moony Re: inetd[xxxx]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

and following that link does take me to a message that explains the
problem.

For jollies, I did the same search on the web pages. The *very* first
hit was for <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/releases/2.2.2R/errata.html>,
and the first entry on that page is

  o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on system
    console.

  Fix:  If you have the source distribution installed, simply
        cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc
        otherwise, get it from the FreeBSD FTP site using this URL:
        ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/etc/login.conf
        instead.  Simply cd to /etc and then run fetch(1)> with the provided
        URL.

As I've said (in e-mail to Sue), it's very easy to think "Ah, I've got a
problem, I'll just send off a quick e-mail to the mailing lists, it's so
much easier than searching." If everyone does that the lists start to
drown in a sea of repeated questions. And after a while the people that
do answer the questions (well, me, anyway) get bored of answering the same
questions, and start to ignore them.

Which benefits no one.

[ In case it's not clear: that's my opinion above, and I have no idea if
  anyone else on -questions holds it. It's certainly not an 'official'
  opinion of the FreeBSD project. ]

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?