Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 20:37:59 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance hint for JDK on FreeBSD

Mikhail Kruk wrote:

> isn't it just known fact that 1.2 is all times worst in term of
> performance? Using Windows as a references system (since I don't have
> access to a single Sun machine), I've noticed that 1.1 is the fastest, 1.3
> is acceptable and 1.2 is ... well, I try not to use it.

A certain amount of functions that were written in C in 1.1
were rewritten in Java for 1.2.
This is one of reasons why 1.2 is slower than 1.1.
JVM of 1.2.2 loads over 150 classes when it starts up,
even though 1.1.8 loads about 50 classes.
This means that plenty of method invocations happen.

> So what I'm getting at is: do we need a 1.2 port or is it better to
> concentrate on 1.3?

1.3 loads more classes. But selective compilation technique and
other improvements made start-up time acceptable.

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.