Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:27:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      iialan@iifeak.swan.ac.uk (Alan Cox)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL code in freebsd?

> That is why the GENERIC kernel does not have any GPL code linked into
> it.  And why for so long we would not even allow GPL code in the
> kernel source tree.  [Which given light of this recent harrasement
> from the GNU folks I would just as soon go back to as a safety policy]

For similar reasons with GPL code, I have to keep a very tight control on
non GPL code getting into the system. Its cuts both ways and where there
are overlaps its messy. Much better to ask the author to put it under a dual
copyright like the fpu emulator. That is clean and solves the problems
for everyone providing the author is willing.

> Please go read GPL version 2.0 section 2.0B and tell me this again....
> it makes the whole of the work fall under the GPL, and that is *NOT*
> what we want!

Actually at least in UK law (and I think US) if someone else goes off and
violates the license the rest of the code doesnt magically become GPL, it
merely means you could get told to cease shipping violating copies.

Alan