Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:22:55 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <midiostri@in.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X application without starting a desktop

midiostri@in.gr types:
> Is it possible to run an XWindows application without starting KDE (or =
> Gnome etc..) ?
> (Something like launching the application together with the Xserver at =
> its minimum..)

No problem. Just put the command to start your application ~/.xinitrc,
and then run startx. When your application exits, X will also exit.

You may want to start a window manager as well, so that you can move
the applications windows around. There are a lot of them that don't
use KDE or Gnome. Personally, I use lwm, so I'd do:

	lwm &
	/usr/X11R6/bin/gimp

for .xinitrc if I wanted to start and stop GIMP with "startx". You can
probably set up aliases to do this without having to fidget with
.xinitrc if you want.

	<mike