Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:14:38 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld fails

I've been trying to upgrade my server from FreeBSD 3.2 to -stable. I
successfully cvsup'ed to RELENG_3, did a buildworld and installworld,
and am now happily running 3.5-STABLE. Then I did a cvsup with default
tag=. When I tried to make buildworld, after a few seconds I got:
>c++ -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include/g++ -O -pipe
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/c
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc:80:
warning: `catcs
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc: In
function `void:
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc:82:
declaration of.
><internal>:82: ...from previous declaration here
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

Since posters in other threads have been making world successfully for
the last few days I figure something must have gone wrong with the
stuff I downloaded (and naturally I didn't log it -- well, experience
is what you get just after you needed it).

Anyway, I'm unsure how to proceed from here. Should I delete everything
in /usr/src except my kernel configuration file? Or should I just
re-cvsup? I am going on the assumption that if one file so early in the
build process is munged, there are probably many others elsewhere in
the tree equally or worse munged, but I'm willing to try fixing the one
file that failed so far if somebody can suggest how.

And when I re-cvsup, should I cvsup from RELENG_3_2_RELEASE to RELENG_3
first? If so, should I then cvsup to RELENG_4_0_RELEASE before I try to
go all the way to _STABLE? The cvsup FAQ has been really helpful up to
now, but doesn't address this cross-over point.