Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:39:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      robert bowen <robert@braingarage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kunze@CS.ColoState.edu
Subject:   RE: OT: XFree 4.0 and TrueType fonts

I just wrestled with this problem myself. There are a
few steps to go through to get it working.

1. Get fonts form a M$ system and setup the fonts.dir
with ttmkfdir (worked for me)
2. Double-check that paths are correct in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/conf file. make sure they point to
your new TrueType directories
3. Comment out font paths in /etc/X11/XF86Config file,
except for one that reads unix/:7100
4. get rc.local to start /usr/X11R6/bin/xfs if you are
using xdm or start it by hand as root before you startx.

Good luck - This works for me and I now have beautiful
fonts on Netscape and other apps.

Robert