Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:57:49 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: share swapdisk with win95

* Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl> [000118 16:04] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried the following with succes.
>
> Disk wd1 is a dos formatted disk with only my win95 swapfile on it.
> I used 'swapon wd1' to make it a FreeBSD swap device. This works ok.
> When I reboot to windows it doesn't complain and uses my wd1 as swap.
> The rootdirectory has a lot of illegal filenames in it, but also a valid
> swapfile and it looks like everything is oke.
>
> Is this going to work for always? Is it this simple to share the disk?
> Or wil it be better to write some valid sectors for the fat and rootdir.
> when I shutdown FreeBSD. If yes, does this always work, because you cannot
> stop FreeBSD using the swap.
>
> I hope somebody can explain these to me,

One trick you could use was a script that mounted the msdos filesystem
removed the swapfile and created a large swapfile for freebsd's use.

you could then use 'vnconfig' to make it into a swap device and issue
a 'swapon' command to begin swapping on it,  then in windows simply
add a command to delete the freebsd swapfile.

i would _NOT_ recommend doing what you are currenly doing, FreeBSD
will be happy, but you're corrupting the msdos FAT and if you
confuse window's ideas about where parts of it's swapfile is, there's
no telling what damage it can do.

-Alfred