Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:16:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

> It already does this if you get your crypto from internat. US mirror sites
> only carry the neutered (no-RSA) version, but internat carries RSA and
> builds it conditional on USA_RESIDENT.

And why don't the USA sites have the RSAREF version?  I'm still not
sure I understand the compartmentalization here.

> 2) if you don't build with any sort of RSA (i.e. USA_RESIDENT == YES and
> you don't have the rsaref package installed) then you don't get
> include/rsa.h but get everything else "standard".

It's this rsaref thing that's hanging me up.  Why is it either on
or off vs on from location A or on from location B?

> See the packages at http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/openssl/ for a better
> definition of "standard". Mark should be putting the international ones on
> internat sometime (*nudge*).

I still don't think that the packages are going to help us much here.

> Did you ever hear back from the lawyers about whether (and how) we can
> freely distribute openssl (and other stuff) from the US? Apart from that
> it does just reduce to the case of keeping the patent lawyers happy by
> keeping the patented code away from US people.

The lawyers haven't been willing to say anything about this right now,
citing too large of a caseload to even begin untangling the Clinton
administration's current position.

- Jordan