Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:28:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        leonard@dstc.edu.au, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ComputerEyes PCI/1024

Digitial Vision wanted me to write a driver for the Computer Eyes/1024
since I wrote one for their much older 8 bit ISA Computer Eyes/RT.
I decided to pass on the driver because the card is too expensive (a Meteor
clone is much cheaper) the CE/1024 uses a ISA bus rather than the cheaper
PCI bus meteor clone, but most convincing was the fact the Computer Eyes/1024
like the older RT provides only RGB 24 capture mode. this means you will have
to convert the RGB 24 to YUV in software. I found that the software
RGB 24 -> YUV significantly reduces the frame rate.

In the CE/RT driver, I made the big mistake of doing the RGB -> YUV
using floating point, a much better way would be converting RGB 24 to
RGB 8 with shift and then doing a table lookup to convert RGB 8 to YUV
like nv does it for X capture mode. Even using this method the frame
rate will be lower than the cheaper metoer clone.

-mark.