Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:12:07 -0700
From:      aksis <aksis@idea-anvil.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

On Saturday 12 February 2005 05:16 pm, stheg olloydson wrote:
> it was cried into the wilderness of rancor by Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav on
> Fri Feb 11 09:30:50 2005:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Likewise, Beastie is a mascot, not a logo.  In fact, it fails the
> >primary and most important test of logoness: it is not exclusive to
> >the FreeBSD project, but is shared by all BSD projects.  It also fails
> >several other important tests of logoness: it is not under the FreeBSD
> >project's direct control (our use of it is subject to the whim and
> >mercy of Kirk McKusick); it is not a registered trademark; it is
> >probably too diluted already to even be eligible to be registered as a
> >trademark.
>
> <snip>

Something I was contemplating is that through out history there have been m=
any=20
"gatekeeper" systems that have been implemented to keep the masses at bay.=
=20

In history they have usually been some type of icon/gargoyle that invoked f=
ear=20
in people. For those who could conquer fear, they could pass the gate. The=
=20
people who passed the gate were of a higher level of consciousness. They we=
re=20
the ones not governed by fear, the people who were willing to take risks an=
d=20
experiment etc... These are some important qualities for *any* kind of=20
development environment. When the time came, after the groups creation had=
=20
been developed and was ready for the masses, the "gatekeeper" was removed o=
r=20
de-mystified and the masses could now have access to what they would have=20
destroyed or broken due to lack of understanding or out of fear.

I see that beastie could be serveing this purpose. I also see that if FreeB=
SD,=20
as an OS, is intending to be released to the mases then it would be wise to=
=20
get rid of a mascot that, for the majority of the world, is associated with=
=20
evil and/or dis-service.  The mascot will turn off a lot of people. It woul=
d=20
just be one more reason *not* to use freebsd.=20

It is the %1 who makes useful things for the %99, its also the %1 who is=20
beyond tripping on what mascot is being used and passes the "gate"... its=20
what is behind the mascot that is important to the %1. Don't let you person=
al=20
taste for a particular decoration on the "cake" spoil the birthday party fo=
r=20
the %99.

If, however, FreeBSD is: still in its infancy stage; is not intended for th=
e=20
masses; is not yet ready for the masses, then such a gatekeeper system woul=
d=20
be wise to keep in place. It keeps the ignorant/fearful masses at bay. If t=
he=20
masses are allowed in too soon, they will trip on/over the small unfinished=
=20
details.

That the majority of people in the world do have some deep rooted fears=20
surrounding "devils" goes with out saying. This may just be a *small* facto=
r=20
in the mass mind, but its a hang up, and easily overcome by choosing a=20
different mascot *when* the time is right.=20

If the goal of making FreeBSD a widely used OS or even the #1 OS, then it=20
isn't a question of if the mascot should be changed, but when, and to what.

The motto is: "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve"
What mascot would fit the motto in the mass mind?
Seeing as how in most peoples minds "Devils" are a dis-service, it *is* a p=
oor=20
choice. It will be easier to change the mascot then to change the minds of=
=20
the masses.

Prehaps a Butler, with a Tux and a Tray in hand, with the FreeBSD motto=20
above/on the tray would be inline for a high quality Server OS.=20

=2D-=20
James

"When you run 2 battelships into each other, they both sink."