Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:27:35 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: Test /etc/rc clean-up

> 	The X also protected test from the case where the expansion included a
> string like "-x", although with most modern implementations of test (or
> shells with test as a builtin) this is no longer a problem.

And certainly not in any of these cases. :)

> I agree with some of your changes here, but can you explain your objection
> to using case? My argument is that case is a builtin so it makes things
> just a little bit cleaner, and more importantly it makes case insensitivity
> for the options that much easier to implement which is a huge win in user
> friendliness. For example, what happens to if [ "${pccard_ifconfig}" !=

I don't disagree with any of this, but that radical a degree of change
was simply not my intention with these diffs. :-)  I sought only to:

1. Eliminate unnecessary X pollution.

2. Make all variable expansion consistently use ${foo}; only positional
   parameters are "naked" now.

3. Fix cases where test -n is an obvious simplification of the existing
   expression.

If we were to commit this, I'd suggest that we do my version first
and then have a case-ify pass done 2nd, just so we have each option
to chose from in the CVS repository should anyone express strong
reservations at some stage. :)

- Jordan