Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:02:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joseph Gleason <clash@tasam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Ian Campbell <ianc@ednet.co.uk>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Subject:   Re: Greater than 2GB per process

On 12-Mar-01 Joseph Gleason wrote:

> [...]

In theory, yes.  In practice, the kernel and userland share the same memory
area so that the kernel can more easily access user memory when handling
syscalls, etc.  Technically we could switch to using a separate virtual memory
space for the kernel, but it would require work from someone very familiar
with the vm system and the 386 side of vm.  (Or someone willing to learn
enough of it)  We don't have very many such people unless you are
volunteering. :)