Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:23:01 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD gets stuck while copying installation files

I had 2.1.0-Release installed with Win95 on the same machine, until when
Win95 required a reboot for some change in its control panel, and the
machine stopped rebooting.

I had to reset the machine's setup, because the PCI cards couldn't get an
IRQ allocated to them.

This made Win95 boot just fine, but FreeBSD would get stuck while
fsck-ing. If I'd boot single-user and fsck manually, it would get stuck
later on, always with the drive LED on.

I decided to reinstall FreeBSD. When I try to install, either from the
EIDE CDROM, or from a DOS partition, the installation hangs when copying
files into /usr/bin (usually while copying gcc).

The frustrating thing is that before that reboot-incident I installed
FreeBSD from the CDROM with no problem whatsoever.

The configuration is : a DEC Venturis 5100, 100Mhz Pentium, dual EIDE
controller with a primary DOS partition and the BSD root, /var and swap
on /wd0, another DOS partition and the BSD /usr partiton on /wd2, and a
CDROM as the slave on the first channel. I also have a DE435 and an
Adaptec 2940 on the PCI (nothing connected to the SCSI).

Any help would be appreciated.

Nadav