Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Manas Bhatt <bhatt_manas@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   how to find word boundaries in FreeBSD

hi all,
   This maybe of the mailing list but if someone can
answer this question, please do reply.
   While determining sizeof variable in C using sizeof
function, i found that the for structures it doesn't
allocate just that amount of memory which is the sum
of the memory required for individual structure
members. It is always more than or equal to the sum of
memory required for each of the individual member of
the structure.
   Someone told me that it is because some variables
like float, long tend to take only even memory
locations. Thus this discrepancy.
   Can someone explain what is happening here. Also if
one can guide me to tutorials, RTFM , it would be of
great help.
thanks
manas