Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Sean M." <sigma_zk@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Boot Problem on Multiple HDDs

I just did my first ever bit of hardware hacking--salvaging a 6GB HDD
from a useless computer and installing it as a slave--and went and put
FreeBSD on it and a 3151MB partition on the master drive, which already
had Windows 2000 Professional SP1. Here is how I chopped up the disks:

ad0s1: FAT32 W2K (I have since converted to NTFS)
ad0s2: /, swap, /tmp, /etc, and /var
ad1s1: /usr

The problem is that I can't start FreeBSD. When I get to the boot
loader, I see:

F1 DOS
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Disk 1

Pressing <F2> starts the typical hardware listing, then I see:

Manual root filesystem specification
mountroot>

And the crux of the problem is that I can't type anything because the
keyboard is frozen! What can I do here?